Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The Barn Run

I am a runner. To help alleviate boredom and challenge myself, I run several pathways during the week. One of my favorite running paths I have affectionately named The Barn Run for the simple reason that the path runs up a small hill, curves ever so slightly to the right, shifts back to the left, and then wanders up by an old barn that sits on my property. I usually run this pathway a couple of times a week. This summer, however, several construction companies began building new homes on either side of my land. In order to avoid all of the hammering and noise, I had to temporarily abandon The Barn Run, and instead run on the trails in the woods behind my house.

After the houses were finished and the machinery and racket had moved on, I was anxious to resume running on my barn path. During my absence, however, time and nature had prevailed and the old path was so cluttered with leaves and small sticks from the trees that tower over it, I could barely make out where I was going. Consequently, I became frustrated that I had been away long enough for the pathway to collect so much debris. After a few unpleasant thoughts and a few more deep breaths, I reminded myself the trail was still there, I just had to reestablish it. So, I fixed my eyes on the ever-present barn, plowed through the leaves, smashed the twigs underfoot, and reclaimed my favorite pathway.

Regardless of how much we prepare and plan, life changes from one day to the next. If we're not careful, these changes, both big and small, can result in an unhealthy, negative paradigm shift that clouds our judgement and steals our happiness.When the variables start to add up, you need a bright spot, a beacon if you will, to help realign your focus and cut through the rubbish. For me, it was an old barn. For you, it will be something else. Whatever you decide to focus on, may it shine brightly and propel you forward as you run on your own pathway. 



1 comment: