Wednesday, October 11, 2017

The Nature of Gardening

Sweat bees live underground and are attracted to the salty taste of perspiration. They zigzag through the air, barely visible, looking for a glistening arm to land on, or better yet, the sweaty fold of a neck that has flapped open for a brief second or two. Then, just as that arm bends or that neck fold flaps back over, they land, begin to feel claustrophobic, and sting in self-defense.

As a kid, I thought sweat bees were pesky little nuisances. They followed me around as I played in my grandmother's yard each summer, buzzing as they flew, just waiting to sting me when I least expected. Now however, as an adult and a gardener, I understand these tiny bees mean me no harm, and are crucial in the pollination process for many flowers and vegetables that grow in my garden. Additionally, the duality of the sweat bee is worth noting. While they elicit a negative response when they sting, they offer positive benefits to many plants.

Looking back, I viewed the sweat bee as an invader of my summer vacation, but my grandmother never complained about the bees that shared the space of her yard and garden. Maybe she understood their value far outweighed their sting. Likewise, I hope she felt the same way about me. 


1 comment: