Wednesday, March 21, 2018

The Nosy Gardener

Okay, I confess - I am a nosy gardener. Admittedly, one of my favorite things to do is drive down the road and look at what other folks are seeding in their gardens, creating in their flower beds, and planting in their pots. Not only do I snoop as I drive by, but I also occasionally borrow an idea or two for my own use.

My inquisitive nature, as it relates to gardening, can more than likely be attributed to the generations of farmers, gardeners, and growers in my family that came before me. From my great grandfather, who owned and worked a farm in South Carolina prior to the Civil War--my grandparents, who grew the most delicious strawberries and blackberries I've ever tasted--and my dad, who made me pick ground cherries each year until I thought my fingers would fall off, I've inherited a sense of respect for those who sow, as well as a curiosity as to what they grow.

Hence, we are all borrowers to some degree. We take what we have learned from others, test it, try it, tweak it, spiff it up as needed, and hopefully pass it on to the next generation.


Me and my sister picking berries in my grandparent's garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment