Friday, January 3, 2020

Paper People

We've had a lot of rain lately. So much in fact that I've had to, on more than one occasion, stuff the toes of my running shoes with crumpled newspapers to dry them out.

The other day while pulling a wad of paper from one of my shoes, this thought crossed my mind:  there are paper people in my running shoes. People from different places, caught in different moments in time, all with stories that may be similar or different from mine. How many of those people are or were gardeners? I have no idea. I hope all of them, but in reality it is probably only a few. There's no way to know now that the headlines are smudged and the stories have faded.

If one day I'm a paper person, stuffed in a shoe, I hope my persona will be that of a happy gardener. I'd like to be remembered that way.




No comments:

Post a Comment