Wednesday, October 24, 2018

A Poke of Tomatoes

I ventured out to the grocery store the other day to pick up a few items. As I pushed the wobbly shopping cart through the produce section, my eyes landed on a display of tomatoes, ripe and ready for purchase. For a second, I hesitated as I thought about placing a couple of them in a plastic grocery bag to buy. Then I remembered how great it felt this summer to walk out to my garden, and load up a paper poke* with tomatoes. No traffic, no fighting for a parking space, no long lines, and no exaggerated prices. Just fresh tomatoes at a moments notice.

Thus, with a small smile and a defiant stride, I swung the buggy around and headed over to the bread isle, determined to plant more tomatoes next year, and to start saving paper pokes.


*Where I'm from, a poke is a sack or a bag.


No comments:

Post a Comment