Saturday, February 29, 2020

Garden Variety Diversity

I've seen a lot of commercials lately regarding the way I am supposed to live. Apparently, there's a long list of things I shouldn't say, things I need to say, and social injustices I should look for daily while driving to work or getting my morning coffee at the local fast food restaurant down the street.

One of my least favorite ads is for boxed meals that come already prepped for cooking. Perfectly cut portions of chicken or pork and vegetables, ready to cook and eat. No creativity, no freshness, no mess- just cookie-cutter meals promoted by advertisers who insist diversity is what makes the world go round. 
Do I watch too much television? Maybe. But authentic diversity to me isn't a prepackaged concept created by one group and imposed upon another. The idea of diversity tends to be at its best when it initiates organically, free from the social construct created by those "in the know."  Yes, I  like my diversity like I like my fruits, vegetables, and flowers- fresh, colorful, and naturally grown. 


No comments:

Post a Comment