Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Plant Pots

I had a preoccupation with flower pots in my early days as a gardener. Unfortunately, most of my purchases were based on my mood, my finances, and my decor, and had very little to do with the welfare of the plants I was attempting to grow.

Over the years, however, time and personal observation have collaborated to help me make better choices for my plants. Here are just a few things I have learned:

 >Plant Size - In my experience, when you buy a plant, the container that comes with it is just big enough to house the roots, which means it needs to be repotted. I liken choosing a suitable pot for a plant to choosing the right mixing bowl when making a cake. The bowl needs to be big enough to hold all of your ingredients and to allow for proper mixing. Otherwise, your cake batter will slosh out the sides, leaving you with less cake and more mess. Therefore, to allow the roots of your plant to rest comfortably and to promote overall growth, the size of your pot should be a little bit larger than your plant.

>Clay Pots versus Plastic Pots - A clay pot tends to retain more moisture than a plastic pot. Thus, if you are unable to water your plants on a routine basis, you may want to use clay pots. On the other hand, if you're fairly consistent with your watering practices, try a plastic container. You can even buy plastic pots that look like clay pots.

Also, take into consideration where you are going to put the plant. Even under the best circumstances, clay pots have a tendency to crack. Moreover, if they fall off of a porch or a ledge, they will probably break, whereas a plastic container is a little more durable.

>Drainage - Most plants need adequate water drainage in order to grow and flourish. Many pots come with preformed holes on the bottom to allow for drainage, and some of these pots also include built-in drip trays or saucers. If you purchase a pot with holes but no drip tray, you can usually find clear, plastic trays for a couple of dollars. I've also used plastic lids from butter containers, etc., as well as old saucers from my local thrift store. If you find a container you really want to use but it has no holes, flip it over and drill your own. Just make sure you are familiar with the type of material you are working with prior to drilling.


Pots can be ornamental, colorful vessels that brighten up your home or your front porch. But, if you want your plants to thrive, they must also be functional. 




No comments:

Post a Comment