Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Use What You Have

As spring slowly transitions into summer, I am spending more time outside, working in the garden and on various projects around the homestead. All this time outdoors has awakened within me what I refer to as a "pioneer spirit" and as a result, I find myself trying to reuse and / or repurpose various items to suit my needs. 


So far, I've used sections of old wire fencing as a support structure for my weighty tomato plants and curling bean vines. I've recycled wooden slats from an old playpen and used them as plant markers, and I'm using an old fruit crate I found in the barn as a garden planter. Also, the borders of all my flower beds were created from old bricks and rocks found on the property, and I'm using grass clippings and decomposed leaves for mulch when needed. I also placed a broken terracotta pot on the end of an ugly drainage pipe.

Thus, a little goes a long way when you use what you have. 


No comments:

Post a Comment