Monday, November 20, 2017

Changing Seasons

Last Autumn, I moved across the country from a state with mostly mild weather all year long, to a state that is seasonal. To say that I experienced a period of weather adjustment is an understatement. As I began putting away my clothes and shoes, I soon realized I had very little to wear in the way of warm attire for the approaching winter. Moreover, I discovered my running shorts and shirts would leave me pretty much defenseless against the rain and snow on my early morning runs. So, I bought the necessary clothing, toughened up, and moved on with things.

As spring approached, I knew that planting would bring a sense of familiarity to me in my new home, so I began to plan my garden. My excitement, however, soon faded. Even though it was the middle of March, the ground was still hard as a rock, leaves were scattered everywhere, and the local nurseries had very few plants out to buy. And to make matters worse, we were still experiencing frosty mornings and periodic cold rains.

After pitching a fit and mourning for the warm weather I'd left behind, I took a step back and decided to research gardening trends in my area. As I became familiar with the planting seasons, I also began to study the plants that are native to the region. Sadly, I learned the cactus and yucca plants that I used to grow were not suitable for my new garden, however, a variety of plants, some I'd never worked with before, would grow successfully through the end of summer. And as the first few weeks of April began, nurseries started to offer these plants, and I, unashamedly, purchased and planted in abundance.

Change is difficult. It can often leave one wandering around aimlessly searching for a sense of purpose that was, at one time, so clear. On the whole, it's much easier to work within the realm of the familiar, where success is at least somewhat guaranteed, than to invest time and effort into learning new things, forming new relationships, going new places. But life is comprised of seasons, and whether you live in a climate that is consistent all year, or one that alternates between periods of cold and hot, you won't grow if nothing in your life ever changes. So embrace the unfamiliar and live in the moment. And when you do, you will begin to see the benefits of experiencing the changing seasons of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment