Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Grace Made Over

My grandmother Grace was a quiet woman. By quiet, I do not mean she did not like to talk or engage in conversation. On the contrary, she was from a big southern family where chatter was the norm if you had any chance at all of being acknowledged, or for that matter, fed. No, the noiselessness I am referring to was in her demeanor. In the small community in which she lived, she was known for maintaining her composure, despite the challenges she faced. She'd put her hands on her hips, inhale and exhale, and calmly pronounce her opinion. 

My grandfather, on the other hand, was thunderous in his approach to life. Although short in stature, even when wearing his old gray traveling hat, his ability to project his big personality into every situation made him seem, at times, massive in comparison to those around him. He'd rant and rave about one thing or another, and any positive contribution he may have made to to the conversation was often lost in the uproar that ensued. And while I was never afraid of him, I oftentimes wondered what all of the fuss was about.


Consequently, my grandfather's capacity for overreacting was generally offset by my grandmother's ability to remain calm and assess the situations they encountered. This was no easy task, and even after watching the scenario play out countless times, I cannot tell you where she developed the fortitude she displayed on these occasions. What I can tell you is it served to encourage me when my parents divorced, when I met my in-laws for the first time, when I met my in-laws subsequent times, when I applied for my first job, and when my sister passed away.

Through the years, members of my family have referred to me as "Grace-made-over," a comparison that humbles,and I must admit, pleases me. And although I've been known to put my hands on my hips when I talk, I'm not always as calm as my grandmother was, most times, not even close. Still, when pandemonium sets in, I do my best and I like to think she'd be pleased with my efforts. After all, a short moment of quiet and reflection frequently yield big results. And that's what I'm going for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment