Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Strong Roots

Approximately a year ago, I bought a small houseplant for a dollar at my local lawn and garden store. As the year progressed, I watered and fussed over the plant until eventually, it outgrew its existing pot. As I set about transferring it to a larger container, I was both surprised and delighted to find not one but three separate root systems buried beneath the topsoil. So, for a little money, time, and effort, I reaped three separate plants instead of one.

Now, I'd like to take complete credit for the successful growth and expansion of my houseplant, however, in good conscience, I cannot. While I acknowledge the water and attention I bestowed upon the plant certainly contributed to its overall health, the main reason it flourished has to do with the strong root system that was already in place when I purchased it. This root system was most likely established by the initial sower, and further strengthened by the care it received at the lawn and garden store where I purchased it.

We all have a root system, a gift of sturdiness afforded to us early-on by parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, siblings, and other influential people in our lives. Strong or weak, positive or negative, it's ever-present, and it has a direct impact on how we respond to circumstances we encounter. Hence, it stands to reason that a strong, positive root system enables a person to deal with chaos and strife more easily than a weak and depleted root system which is susceptible to negative thoughts and /or actions.

The good news is that those of us who wish to strengthen our root systems have the ability to do so by managing the external influences in our lives. When we engage in healthy relationships, pursue education and knowledge, and employ modest amounts of self-affirmation, we develop the grit needed to face challenges, and grow stronger, bigger, and better lives. So get ready my friend -  you're definitely going to need a bigger pot!      


No comments:

Post a Comment